Subject: [BK PATCH] i386 timer changes for 2.5.41
From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Hi Linus,

I've taken the i386 timer.c patches that John Stultz has been working on
for a while, made some minor tweaks, added them to a bk tree, and tested
them on all the boxes that I have access too.  Here's the resulting
changesets:

Please pull from bk://lsm.bkbits.net/timer-2.5

These split up the time.c code to handle different interrupt time
sources, moving the code into a new arck/i386/kernel/timers directory.
This is going to get more important as new timer sources become
available (like IBM's Summit chipset), and removes a lot of #ifdefs from
the existing code.

The differences from John's last patches are:
	- use bk to show the history of the time.c file moves
	- added proper documentation for struct timer_opts
	- init() in timer_opts now returns 0 for success
	- timer array is now static, and NULL terminated to make
	  adding new sources an easier patch.

thanks,

greg k-h

 arch/i386/Makefile                  |    2 
 arch/i386/kernel/time.c             |  374 -----------------------------------
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/Makefile    |   10 
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer.c     |   39 +++
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_pit.c |  132 ++++++++++++
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_tsc.c |  382 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
 include/asm-i386/timer.h            |   22 ++
 7 files changed, 538 insertions(+), 423 deletions(-)
-----

[email-masked], 2002-10-10 01:10:45-07:00, [email-masked]
  i386 timer core: intergrate the new timer code to use the two different timer files.

 arch/i386/Makefile                  |    2 
 arch/i386/kernel/time.c             |   23 ++----
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/Makefile    |   10 +++
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer.c     |    8 +-
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_pit.c |   35 +++++++++-
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_tsc.c |  120 ++++++++++++++++++++----------------
 include/asm-i386/timer.h            |    2 
 7 files changed, 128 insertions(+), 72 deletions(-)
------

[email-masked], 2002-10-10 00:08:03-07:00, [email-masked]
  i386 timer core: move code out of time.c into timers/timer_pit.c and timers/timer_tsc.c

 arch/i386/kernel/time.c             |  351 ------------------------------------
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_pit.c |   97 +++++++++
 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_tsc.c |  262 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 359 insertions(+), 351 deletions(-)
------

[email-masked], 2002-10-09 23:57:56-07:00, [email-masked]
  i386 timer core: introduce struct timer_ops
  
  provides the infrastructure needed via the timer_ops structure, 
  as well as the select_timer() function for choosing the best 
  available timer

 arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer.c |   31 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/asm-i386/timer.h        |   20 ++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 51 insertions(+)
------